A blog about cycling...especially the long distance stuff

Tuesday 9 May 2017

Perth to Adelaide - Day 25 - Streaky Bay

Cudena is a great spot for a rest day. My clothes were in dire need of a wash and my legs were pretty pleased to not be turning pedals! I also spent quite a long time updating the blog, a nice relaxing day!


The hardest part of the tour is done, but I still need to cross the Eyre Peninsula, and there is 1 section in particular that might mean a long day. But I have loads of time now, my wife is meeting me at the finish line so I won't finish earlier than that day.

Rather than ride out of town on the highway, I thought I'd detour via Streaky Bay and spend a day on back roads. So I rode out of town down a dirt road that was a bit bumping but blissfully traffic free.

 
This road later joined up with the B100 which was wonderfully quiet...only the odd truck and some tourist traffic. One option for tonight that I heard was great to camp at was Perlubie, but when I got there it looked more like a new housing development and there were 'no camping' signs everywhere so I just pushed on to the town.


Streaky Bay is a pretty town, dominated somewhat by a campground big enough to be its own municipality...I have never seen so many RV's. It's right on the beach and I can understand why it's popular...I would hate to be here in summer though! 

Once all set up I went for a walk and watched the many Pelicans...big beautiful birds. One was showing off in a long glide just a few centimeters over the water. Then it was time for dinner as I eat so early it's with the Elderly when touring!


A nice easy day, tomorrow I'll head back to the highway and push Eastwards again.

Distance today: 111km
Total trip distance to date: 2673km

No comments:

Post a Comment